Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Carbon Footprint Confusion

One aim of my journalism's final project is to calculate our high school's carbon footprint. I've calculated my own carbon footprint before, which didn't require much information. I assumed that I didn't need much information for the school's, but I was very wrong. I contacted the man in charge of Branford's Board of Education Facilities to see if I could get some electricity and gas consumption amounts. I forgot about all the energy measurements and units for electricity and gas, not to mention the amount of gas used to transport children to school, amount of kids who drive to school, and the amount of garbage generated in a given time.

I am beginning to get nervous about my topic. It seems like I'm going to need to contact a lot of outside sources, mainly people in charge of Facilities and Transportation in the Branford Public School District. However, I think that there are many people who are willing to help me and that the end product will be very informative. Knowing what eco-friendly actions our school's taking is very important to a large percentage of students who attend the high school. Yes, every class has a recycling bin. But we don't know if the material in the recycling bin is actually making it to the recycling stations. I must remember to be patient and kind with the people I'm in contact with. This is going to be a long, tedious process, but I think it will be worth it.

2 comments:

Miller said...

Nicole: I agree that what you're doing will be worth it in the end. If I may make a suggestion about contacting people at the Board of Ed. Send an e-mail to the superintendent or assistant superintendent asking for their help. Briefly describe your project and what you're looking for and why. They can direct you to the proper people, or maybe have some of the info you need. You might even want to link to your blog in your e-mail so they can be more familiar with what you are doing. You might have to schedule a follow up phone call or interview, but contacting them via e-mail could help get the ball rolling. Good luck!

Miller said...

Nicole: I just came across this link and thought it might help you or give you some ideas or other places to find information.

Take the quiz too!

http://www.myfootprint.org/en/