Friday, November 21, 2008

When I was a Young Baker...


Just this past week I've found three baking blogs that I really like. I was originally looking for a holiday baking blog to see if I could find some quality Christmas treats. Instead, I found Annie's Eats, Brown Eyed Baker, and Joy the Baker. Each baker has many categories to choose from, ranging from custard desserts to beef to spice cakes. These bakers have some of the most delicious recipes I've read, seeing as I am an avid baker, especially of holiday goodies. My favorite recipes are Black Bottom Cupcakes and Carrot Cake Pancakes. Over my holiday break I will definitely be trying out one of those.

Baking is something that is very dear to me. Since I was very young, my fondest memories are those of Christmas and Thanksgiving baking. Part of family tradition, my sister and I bake sugar cookies from scratch the day before Christmas Eve. We have an array of Christmas cookie cutters and different decorating condements to give our cookies a little exta flavor. We don't live together anymore or see each other very often, so I cherish this day and anticipate it all year. Although I can make sugar cookies any day I want, I often wait until this day. Baking is truly wonderufl. It can unite people of different languages, cultures, and religions. So many meals and foods in our country are influenced by other countries that it's hard for us to not feel connected somehow.

1 comment:

Miller said...

Nicole, you're the best!