Thursday, October 2, 2008

Lifehacker vs. Huffington Post and dy/dan

The qualities of a well-written blog are debatable, but I think there are specifics that set apart decent blogs from good blogs. Good blogs are informative. They give information and facts prior to giving opinions and personal beliefs. The facts are not skewed or re-written in a bias manner, but rather are as they found them. The first paragraph should be the informative one, and should include a catchy first sentence to grab the blogger's attention.

Today I examined The Huffington Post, Lifehacker, and dy/dan. They are three very popular blogs, two of which are included in Time Magazine's Ranking of Top Blogs. The Huffington Post is a very political blog. Some blogs track the economy, while others are blogging about the election candidates, especially Sarah Palin. Some are questioning how qualified Sarah Palin is with certain issues, such as being informed about women's reproductive health.

dy/dan is a more personal blog, a site organized by a young high school math teacher named Dan Meyer. In his "About Me" section he specifies that he uses his blog to assist other teachers. Most of his blogs document his experiences as a teacher in his school, personal opinions, and certain activities he does during the day, including math basketball.

Lifehacker is a blog for the average Joe. It is easy to navigate and find similar topics. This blogging site gives tips and downloads for doing a variety everyday things. Some include enabling iPhone applications, cheap solutions for long lasting clothing, and how to navigate the night sky.

I believe the most useful blog is Lifehacker for my lifestyle. It is most informative and applicable to my life. Lifehacker includes a variety of topics and tips that I can use every single day of my life that will somehow enrich my knowledge. I neither hold a political position nor am a math teacher, so I don't think that these blog sites will serve as well to enrich my knowledge. However, I don't believe that one blog is better than another. I think each blog serves a valuable purpose that can inform many different audiences on important issues, which is a dominant quality in a successful blog. Also, blogs that include a variety of topics are very important in creating a blog to grab blog navigators' attention.

1 comment:

Miller said...

Nicole, you have some nice ideas and cover the three different blogs in a concise manner.

What I'd like to know if this: What is it that makes a blog good? What are the qualities of a good blog? These examples I have shown you might be a great place to start examining that.